Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Weather

My entire life I have spent winter in snow, cold blowing winds, ice, mittens and a warm jacket. I can remember building forts at recess and keeping ice chunks as "gold". There are memories of snow banks taller than I was when I was in grade school! I have built snowmen, gone sledding and tubing, made snow angels and caught snowflakes on my tongue. My back has ached from shoveling wet, heavy snow from our long driveway in Wisconsin. I have driven in snow storms with my hands clutching the steering wheel in a death grip. I have some good and bad memories of snow. Now, in my 34th year of life, I am not spending winter in snow, but in sunny, 70 degree weather. I thought it would feel weird and I would be sad because snow is what I've always known. But, I actually love this weather and feel so happy and uplifted by it. I am thankful that K got to enjoy a few winters of snow. I have so many fun pictures of him playing and building all bundled up in his warm, winter clothes. I have my happy memories too, but now we are here and can enjoy winter with short sleeves and sunscreen. It's where God has put us and I'm thankful for that. I love getting K in the car without spending 20 minutes getting the coat, mittens, hat and boots on. I love all the sunshine and cloud-free days! Now, summer is a different story around here, but I'll save that for another day! :)

No comments: